Thursday, July 28, 2011

...6...


Only two more work days after today and then I'm officially on my weekend and then leave! Yikes!

So today is more of a confession blog. Ready? Here it goes:

I CAN'T DO LIQUID DIETS!!!!!!

I just can't...not when it's not a physical necessity. After my lap-band I had to be on a liquid diet for recovery and I did fine, because:
a.) I wasn't hungry
b.) Even if I was, I knew I was healing and the thought of putting food down there scared me
c.) I was asleep most of the time from the pain meds that I didn't really have time to sit around and think about food

But pre-op, when it is not exactly physically necessary and I DO have all day to sit around thinking about how hungry I am and all the food I'm not eating--that just flat out sucks! I tried, I really did, but I give up! I am going to follow Dr. Keshishian's plan which is only 2 days of a pre-op liquid diet. However I'm not stuffing my face until then either. I am having MOSTLY liquids all day, and then maybe one small actual meal that doesn't consist of a lot of meat or carbs or sugars.

I feel kind of like a failure :( I know others of you are doing your liquid diet just fine and sticking to it. I am embarrassed to admit this to you especially since there is no excuse why you could do it and I can't. But I'm still losing weight so my kidney will be in good shape, I'm still cutting out intestinal clogging foods so I'll be all clean for surgery. And by allowing myself a small meal once a day, I will also not go insane. So this just works for me. I applaud and admire those of you who can do the pre-op diets and survive.

I did try a new protein drink yesterday:






OH YEAH COOKIES & CREAM!


I think my review is biased because by the time I had this yesterday I was in a foul mood and the last thing in the world that I wanted was a protein shake. So I made faces, made gagging sounds, stuck my tongue out- generally acted like a child over it. In reality, looking back, it wasn't so completely horrible. I do like the chocolate flavor better, but if you like less chocolate and more vanilla you might like this one. The thickness still gets me a little, but I'm trying to get used to it. Maybe when I'm making my own shakes w/skim milk it won't be as bad.


Thanks for reading :) Until tomorrow...

3 comments:

  1. I wonder, does the liquid diet include cocktails? :)

    I'm worried about how I'm going to do. Someone may die, not me, but someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL sadly no :( that's the one thing I've stuck really well to, no alcohol :( I just bought a huge bottle of mudslide mix too--oh well.
    From all the research I've done, the point of the liquid diet is to
    1. Prepare yourself for eating that way pre-op- well I've been there done that, I'm prepared.
    2. Lose weight in order to shrink and firm the kidney- I can lose weight w/o being on a liquid diet, and really even just a few lbs will help
    3. To clean out your intestines- I just paid $40 for a bowel cleanse, I'm sure it will do that for me.

    So really I just can't convince myself that it's absolutely necessary. I know- I'm searching for excuses but whatever. You're right people die from these, not the people doing the diet, but the people who dared eat in front of them ;) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL at the first comment. I can't tell you how many people asked me if my liquid diet included booze. Anyway, every doctor's version of the diet is different. For me, I have a protein shake for breakfast and lunch. For dinner, I have 4oz of a lean meat and any non-starch veggie I want.

    All I can say is that spices are your friend! One more week to go. I'm so grateful for my teeny little meat at dinner. I'd go crazy if it was all liquids.

    ReplyDelete