Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Tonight's dinner was a twist on a previous EggFace invention that I posted. I took her Burrito Pepper recipe and molded it into what I'm deciding to call Spaghetti Peppers :) Sounds fun, right? It's the same basic concept, all the yummy stuff without the carbs. I'm not sure if she has her own version, I wouldn't be surprised, but this is what I came up with on my own. It was a huge success...if I do say so myself.

*This made a LOT...you may want to cut some of the ingredients in half according to your taste/preference, or increase the number of peppers being filled*

2 peppers (I used 1 red and 1 green), stemmed, seeded, and cut in half lengthwise
3/4 lb ground turkey (or beef if you prefer)
1 can diced Italian tomatoes
1/2 jar spaghetti sauce (you're choice...but for this I used Italian Garden)
2 Tablespoons low fat grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup shredded low fat mozzarella cheese
4 slices low fat provolone cheese


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place peppers in a lightly oiled Pyrex style baking dish and bake for 20 minutes. Remove peppers, drain any water that pooled up and set the peppers aside. Increase the oven temp to 400 degrees.

Brown the ground turkey in a non-stick skillet until brown.
Mix all of the ingredients other than the provolone cheese in a separate bowl and then add the browned turkey.

Spoon mixture into the peppers, as much as you can fit in each pepper and then cover with a slice of provolone cheese. And I just now thought that it would have been yummy to sprinkle some Italian seasonings on top of the provolone cheese before baking. Clearly I didn't, but I'll try it next time :)


Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.


And you're done! These are really good, but kind of messy. They definitely cure my spaghetti craving, and that is why they are so named :) Like I mentioned, the "filling" quantities left me with a lot of left overs but I'm not good with modifying recipe sizes yet. Give it a try and see what works for you, these are well worth it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment