Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Recipe of My Own!

I am SO excited over this recipe! A couple years ago at my supermarket they were doing a demo for this but the way they made it was really not healthy and so this was a once in a while food. But I've done some experimenting and made it healthy!!!!! And it tastes 99.9% the same, or else I wouldn't even bother posting it because I don't like when things don't taste close to the original un-healthy version. Here it is...I hope you like it! ***The recipe below is for 2 servings, I always double it so that my husband and I have left overs so the RECIPE is for 2 servings (2 people) but the PICTURES are doubled, for 4 servings. My motto is cook once, eat twice!***

Bronzed Salmon in a Basil-Wine Sauce (don't be afraid)

2 salmon fillets
Mediterranean Blend seasonings grinder (or a Seafood blend would work)
1 tablespoon olive oil (I use organic) **DON'T DOUBLE if you're going to double the recipe, just add one more TEASPOON**
2 tablespoons dry white wine (I always use the cheap-o $3 from wal-mart white wine, it works)

Sauce:
1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic (I use the kind in a jar, so much easier)
1/4 cup dry white wine (if you splash a little extra it's ok;) )
1/2 cup Plain Greek Yogurt (original recipe called for heavy cream)
2 heaping tablespoons Gourmet Garden Squeeze
Basil (click the word for product info- it's found in your produce section and is essentially herbs in a tube but makes life SO much easier!)
Salt to taste
1 lemon wedge (I never use this but my husband does)



Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
Make sure to remove the skin/scales from your salmon:

Here's all the "stuff" I used:

Season the salmon fillets to taste with the Seasonings grinder (coat heavily on both sides):
Add the oil and the salmon to the pan and bronze for 2 minutes on each side. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, turning every 2 minutes, until done. Remove from pan and set aside but keep warm:


For the sauce:
Place the same skillet (un-washed...keep all the "bits") back over medium-high heat and add the garlic and the wine. Simmer the wine to reduce to 2/3 (I personally have no idea what that really is, so I just eye it and when there's less liquid I call it good):

Add the greek yogurt and the basil and mix well:
Let that simmer just a little bit, stirring constantly. Season to taste with salt and lemon juice from the wedge, if you like:

Sorry this picture is so bad, it doesn't look near as good with the flash washing it out...but basically you just spoon the sauce over the bronzed salmon fillets and serve with a nice salad or some veggies:

Please let me know if you try this and how you like it! Or if you have any modifications you made that worked really well :)

1 comment: