Wednesday, February 3, 2010

FOOD FIND!

A lot of healthy recipes I find include dips to help accent (or cover) the flavor of the foods they're featured with. Personally, I've never really been a dip kind of gal, and I usually don't have, or want to make, the time to puree, blend, grind, or otherwise make the dips.

However...last weekend whilst out and about with my mother in law at a craft expo, we found this:

Watkins "Natural Gourmet" Snack and Dip seasonings. (
http://www.watkinsonline.com/productsgroup.cfm?Parent=3&family=26&gCatalogLocale=USA&ECredit=081200N&group=70)

These are only a few calories per serving and fat free but pack a LOT of flavor! We sampled the bacon & cheddar, the cucumber & dill, and salsa flavored. I bought the first 2 mentioned because I was just amazed at how good they were. I'm not a salsa fan, but for those of you who are...there ya go!

Basically you just mix a couple tablespoons of this powder mix into 1 cup of your base of choice. The samples were made with sour cream. So you could use that, or if you wanted to lower the fat you could use a low fat or fat free sour cream. I, however, mixed mine with my newly found (and loved) Greek yogurt, which has the taste and consistency of sour cream but gives you a TON of protein.

For something that tastes so exactly like bacon and cheese but has absolutely no fat...this stuff deserves it's own blog post.









Try the mixes with toasted flat breads, veggies, naked nuggets, use it on salads, or whatever else you just need a little extra flavor. Each jar has a shelf life of up to 5 years...but I doubt it'll ever see the 1 year mark ;)

1 comment: