Thursday, June 4, 2009

Yummy Food Finds

When I was at Costco last weekend, they had a demo for these Turkey Burgers. I'd always wanted to try them, but have always been hesitant because I'm a devoted beef girl. It's a lifestyle choice. But I decided I may as well try one from the demo without committing to an entire pack.

YUM! I was really surprised how good it was (and check out the protein!!). And the sweet little old demo lady was just pan frying them and serving them w/o anything on them. So I got a pack.
My first attempt was a turkey burger with melted mozzarella cheese on top on a whole wheat bun. DO NOT TRY THAT. Mozzarella and turkey are not a good flavor combination at all. That was gross.

So I decided to stick with the classics and just pretend it was a beef patty and try my luck that way. SCORE.

My first experiment was just a good ol' fashioned hamburger. I had already overloaded on carbs for the day, so I wanted to try something less carby and found these:

They're Flatout brand flat breads. These specific kind are the Fold its, they're two smaller circles connected in the middle, great for making sandwich style foods instead of the typical wrap. And they just happened to be prefect size to fit the very generous turkey burger patty on.


A tad high on the sodium side, but the fiber and protein are pretty great. And the low carbs are even better!


So I pan fried my turkey patty, put some light mayo, low sugar ketchup, and a bit of yellow mustard on my flat bread, and then I melted a low fat cheddar cheese stick on top of the patty. Viola!! A healthy cheese burger!!







I am still training my taste buds to like that healthy grain-y taste that comes w/all stone ground healthy carb type foods. But with the cheese and mustard and ketchup, you really don't taste the grain-y taste. And coming from a devoted beef eater, I could not really tell that I was eating a healthy turkey burger over a fatty beef burger.



My entire lunch was so good! I had my turkey cheese burger, a cup of cooked spinach w/a tiny bit of light butter, a 1/2 cup of unsweetened apple sauce w/cinnamon sprinkled on top, and a bag of cheddar bunnies (organic wheat crackers equivalent to gold fish crackers). I did not eat the almonds because I ran out of time. Only 20 minutes to eat...NO LONGER! :)
Now keep in mind the portions shown above are PRE-BAND and will NOT be typical once I have had surgery. I'd say maybe 1/3 of that.
Enjoy! :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh yum! I must admit that fold-over looks really good - but then I would eat anything right now just being on liquids lol. Nice experimination (is that a word lol) Cool pic, ta.
    Cara

    ReplyDelete