Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Pre-Op Class

As I struggled to drag my butt out of bed at 5 am today, I decided I really didn't need to go to the pre-op class. But, as I would not be allowed to have my surgery if I did not go...I went against my will.

About 30 minutes into the class, I realized that I could teach this class better than any of the speakers. Since I am in the behavior modification therapy I've been learning these things in serious depth and I know it all like the back of my hand. The different speakers were just going over the bare minimum and were setting a lot of RULES but not explaining the logic behind the rules or WHY you have to follow them. If I had been hearing those things for the very first time I'd have no motivation to follow them either.

If anyone has any questions about ANYTHING, like WHY you should only eat every 5 hours, and WHY you shouldn't drink 30 minutes before, during, or 30 minutes after you eat. And these are all great nutritional values for anyone trying to lose weight, not just surgery patients. If anyone reading this is pre-surgery and was told that they may need to do the behavior modification, I know that sounds sucky at first, but it really is the BEST thing I could have done, really!

Anyway, so I spent 6 hours and 15 minutes listening to things I already knew, but I still sort of had fun. The best part was the GOODY BAGS!!!


We got big totes from Realize (that's a brand of band):


And a REALLY NICE binder full of all our paperwork and things we'll need to know. I love stuff like this :)



This is called an incentive spirometer...you take a deep breath and then exhale all the air out of your lungs, and then you put that hose thingy in your mouth and inhale until the big blue disk goes up as high as it can. I got it all the way to the top!! The nurse called me an over achiever :)


This pic shows some vitamin pack samples at the top (hard to see), then a certificate for their health shop for a discount on vitamins, supplements, etc., then I got a purple Scottsdale Bariatric pen, and the BEST part of the goody bag is a gift certificate to the SPA for a FREE one hour treatment, my choice!


And I got this really nice water bottle :)
Not a bad haul for one day's work :) I love getting "stuff" for free.
Now I'm all set until next week on Tuesday for my pre-op appointment with the surgeon herself :)
14 DAYS AND COUNTING....

2 comments:

  1. Lol What a score.. I never got anything exciting like that when it was time for my pre-op class, just a pen, a large notepad and some info... and it seems it's a pre-requisite where ever you are that we go in knowing more than we learn.. what's with that? Anyway, all good stuff and it seems you got something out of it. Good luck with the next steps.
    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay!! I just wanted to say HI and I am also a June 18 date :) Pre-op diet today - hello optifast!!!

    ReplyDelete