Friday, July 23, 2010

My Apologies

Sorry everyone...I didn't mean to neglect my blog for so long. I'm going through some drastic "family issues" that have been keeping my mind elsewhere. I'll go into detail later. Thank you to those of you who reminded me to blog :)

As far as my revision surgery goes...

I didn't fly to WA to have my consultation. Because of said family issues, money got really tight really fast and then job issues came into play. With the uncertainty of my job I did not want to risk taking the time necessary to have an out of state surgery. I did not feel confident that I would still have a job when I would have gotten back. However money was really my biggest deciding factor.

As it turns out, my AZ surgeon called me, literally one week before I was supposed to leave for WA to meet w/that surgeon, and apologized for the "confusion" in translation. She received an official letter from the Johnson & Johnson surgery center in New York (I think...the specifics are foggy) and they (my surgeon and her assistant) will be flying out "for sure" the end of August or very early September for the DS training. Once they get back after a 3 or 4 day training, they will be ready for me.

I decided after MUCH deliberation to give her another chance and wait the few extra months to have her do my surgery rather than spending $3000 more, missing a lot of work and therefore possibly not having a job to come back to, hours of work trying to file for FMLA and temporary disability (which just sounds like a pain in the ass), having to stay in very uncomfortable conditions during recovery, and having to re-do all of my tests to have my surgery in WA. The pros for waiting just far outweighed the cons. And really, in a couple years from now, will these 3 months really make that much of a difference? I mean TRUST ME...they certainly do now! Every single day seems like an eternity, but once it's all said and done they will have been nothing.

SO...that's what's going on with that.

In somewhat related news...I have SOME restriction with my band. That's good...I guess. The bad news of it though is that it's too much and it's not right. Sometimes I can eat whatever and it's fine. But more often then not, after just a bite I start PBing and I get that insane burning in my chest and I've thrown up a few times. But it's over things like scrambled eggs or broccoli or applesauce...yes, I'm not kidding, applesauce! I mean it does it for other things too that I would kind of expect, like bread or pasta or even chicken if I forget to chew it up enough. But this is just crazy. It is extremely uncomfortable and just because I have restriction doesn't mean I'm not hungry. In fact this morning I was absolutely starving (well...you know what I mean) and so I made some Weight Control banana bread oatmeal. First small bite...fine. Second small bite...stuck a little and then went down fine. Third bite...OUCH!! It sat in my chest for like 5 minutes at least. And so I couldn't eat any more, but I was still HUNGRY! 3 tiny bites of oatmeal is not going to last me more than 10 minutes before I'm hungry again.

It's things like this that make me so excited to have this band out of me. I want an honest feeling of being full after a smaller amount of food intake, not just feeling like I'm going to die after a few bites. Oh well...I'm about a month and a half away from my new surgery! Bring it on!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear from you! No doubt that everyone would have made the choice to wait if it meant saving their job. Another month isn't so bad to wait.

    ReplyDelete