Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Shrimp & Squash Packets

Here is yet another WONDERFUL recipe created by eggface that I wasn't going to try at first. One of the many things I have to give her credit for (like all of these delish meals!) is her ability to combine and create flavors out of things I normally would never have tried, and now I love them!



This one is "Shelly's Shrimp & Squash Packet" (click the link if you want to see eggface's actual recipe, the one below is my own variation)





Ingredients (FOR 1 PACK...multiply by how many packs you're making):

1 TBS pesto sauce (I found mine in the spaghetti sauce isle)

1 TBS olive oil (I didn't have lemon olive oil)

1 TBS white wine

7 raw shrimp, peeled and deveined w/the tales removed (I used prev. frozen tiger shrimp)

1/2 zucchini, sliced

1/2 yellow squash, sliced (I forget what those are called!)

1 or 2 green onions, diced (depending on your taste or if you forgot to double the recipe like me)

1 tsp pre-minced, jarred garlic (or 1 clove fresh)

1/2 tsp Kosher salt

a few twists black pepper





Peel and devine shrimp. Mix the pesto, wine, and oil together and let shrimp marinate in the mixture while you slice the squash and onions. (DON'T forget to multiply the marinade ingredients like I did at first...you'll wonder why there's hardly any liquid!) Also, as eggface mentions, don't leave the wine out...it really does make the flavor about 100% better. The alcohol will cook out so it's not like you're going to catch a buzz from 1 TBS white wine.


Place all ingredients in the center of a piece of heavy duty foil...if you are using the cheap-o kind like me, double it.
Fold the foil over and seal each packet. From personal experience, it's a good idea to keep in mind that you will nee to be able to open the packet easily to check if the shrimp are done, so don't just crinkle the edges like I did, making it impossible to open w/out tearing the entire packet! :)
Now, eggface BBQ'd her packets, but I don't have an easy bbq and so I cooked mine in the oven and it was a bit of a time game. I started out at 350 for about 15 minutes. My shrimp were still raw and veggies were still hard. So I turned the heat up to 400 and cooked for another 5 minutes. That seemed to work for me. Feel free to give that a try...just be sure that your shrimp are cooked through.



I give this recipe 5 gold stars! I was apprehensive about pesto and shrimp and squash...but it blended SO well and was a deeply satisfying dinner :) It was also quite fun to make! I'll also be adding this to our camping recipes since it's a packet dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment