Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Love Apple Crisp? Read on....

There's no denying that fall has FINALLY reached the fiery depths of Arizona :) This morning when I went out for my mile walk (yay!) I was so chilly that I had to go back in and add another shirt! Unless you live in Arizona and understand the HEAT we deal with, you have no idea how insanely wonderful it was to have to put on a long sleeve shirt this morning.
True to my word in my prev. post, I went for a one mile walk, ate a healthy breakfast, and have been drinking my water and eating right all day :)
But all day I was thinking about how much I miss making caramel apples and having warm apple crisp on these perfectly wonderful fall days. As soon as I thought about it, I instantly knew where to look to get my fall goody fix WITHOUT running to the trick-or-treater's bowl of candy :) My FAVORITE WLS blog- The World According To Eggface
She has the best most amazing recipes that are specialized for people who have had weight loss surgery, or heck...for anyone who loves good but healthy food.
I decided to giver her Shelly's Apple Cherry Crumb a try, only making it more customized. I'm a seriously picky eater and don't like to experiment with flavor combinations and stuff.
So here is my version re-named Caramel Apple Crumble. Let me warn you, this will make your house smell SO amazingly delicious! I also tried to come up w/the nutritional stats, they're at the bottom.


Caramel Apple Crumble- by Stephanie (to view Shelly's original recipe, click on the link above as this is MY variation):
Ingredients:
*3 large granny smith apples peeled, cored, and sliced thin (I don't like cherries and apples so I used more apples)
*3 TBS Sugar Free Caramel Torani syrup (I wanted a more caramel-y flavor)
*2 tsp cinnamon ( I love cinnamon too much to use just a dash)



After the apples are peeled and sliced, put them in a small sauce pan over low heat.

Add the Caramel syrup and the cinnamon and mix well.

Cook over low heat for 5 to 8 minutes or until apples are starting to get a little soft.


While that is cooking, make the topping.



TOPPING Ingredients:


*1/3 cup raw almonds

*1/3 cup oatmeal (I used steel cut oats)

*sprinkle of cloves, sprinkle of nutmeg, and a large sprinkle of cinnamon (I didn't have apple pie spice, if you do just use 1/2 tsp. instead)

*1 TBS Sugar Free Caramel Torani syrup

*2 TBS almond butter (I tried 1 and it wasn't clumpy enough)

*1 TBS butter substitute (I rarely use real butter)
Finely chop almonds. I used a knife because I don't have food processor, but if you do, that would probably work better.
Then add all of the other topping ingredients and blend together in a mixer or processor.
Spoon apples into 4 oven safe dishes.
Sprinkle topping mix evenly over each dish.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Sit back and bask in the heavenly aroma of apples, cinnamon, and caramel.

NUTRITION FACTS (approx.):
For 1 of the 4 dishes-
Calories= 224
Total Fat= 10g (there are a lot of nuts)
Sodium= 32 mg
Carbs= 33g
Protein= 6 grams (yay!)
So there you go! A delicious dessert that really helps take the edge off of cravings for apple crisp and caramel apples.
Let me know if you try making this and if you make any variations that you like a lot :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, that looks yum! I love chai at Starbucks, but it has so much sugar, my new drink is the suger-free caramel syrup in steamed skim milk...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So glad you were inspired and it looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fantastic you are on track today, Stephanie. You sound like you are in a better place, and the fact you're looking for versions of a healthy recipe is even better. Yayyy!! Might try this one too.

    ReplyDelete