Saturday, January 23, 2010

GREAT Dinner Idea

As many of you know, I follow TheWorldAccordingToEggFace
all the time. I love how she cooks REAL meals with REAL food and can make "healthy" foods taste like naughty foods.

Much like California, Arizona has been having CRAZY weather this last week and my poor mother was stranded away from her home because every road into her house was flooded and barricaded off. So she came over for the night and I wanted something warm, comforting, but quick and easy to make. I decided to try BURRITO PEPPERS, courtesy of Egg Face. Of course, I made a few variations of my own. I do NOT like spicy food that much. And to be honest I don't even like peppers that much, but I LOVE this dish, even the peppers :)




HERE is the link for her blog with the original recipe. Below is my version.


3 bell peppers (any color will do) stemmed, seeded, and cut in half lengthwise

1 walla walla sweet onion, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
3/4 lbs ground beef (I used 98/2 lean)
1 can (16oz) Non Fat re fried beans
2 TBS taco seasoning (I used low sodium)
dash of kosher salt (I did not use the full 1/2 tsp)




a few twists of black pepper
3/4 cup shredded cheese (I actually used the "fiesta" blend which has a few different kids of cheese)- divided
olive oil for sauteing



Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Place your peppers in a lightly oiled Pyrex style glass casserole dish, sprinkle with salt and bake for 20 minutes.

Remove the peppers and drain any water that accumulated while cooking.
Increase cooking temp to 400 degrees.
Saute onions (both green and sweets) until golden.
Add ground beef and cook thoroughly.

Add beans, taco seasoning, dash of salt and pepper.
Add half of the cheese and mix well.


I used 2 large spoons to scoop mixture by heaping spoonfuls into each of the pepper halves.
Top the "stuffed" peppers with the rest of your cheese and bake in the oven for an additional 20 to 25 minutes, or until peppers are tender. Mine took the full 25 minutes.






I topped mine with some fat free sour cream and some of the crisped cheese that fell off the top of the burrito peppers while baking.
This dinner was fast, very easy, and surprisingly delicious! I was afraid I would really notice the lack of tortilla and extra cheese, but I really didn't!
These are going to be filed in the "KEEPERS" section! Thanks again Egg Face!

5 comments:

  1. Bit much capsicum for me! lol Not that keen on it.. You guys call them peppers? Did look yum though.. nice and filling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE her blog too Stephanie. This looks amazing, I missed this one. Definitely trying it. Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds good just not sure ill like the texture but i LOVE the smell and flavor or bell peppers! may have to figure out points on those and try it my self .. wonder how it would taste with ground turkey .. not much on beef

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking as your poor mom who was stranded away from home that night -- I can tell you (again) that this was an absolutely DELICIOUS dinner!! It was wonderfully yummy AND comforting! I will be making it often for myself in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to try this one. I think it's tomorrows dinner! Thank you SO much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete